Thank you for reading CSE Media Center's news section! Expect this section to be updated regularly with announcements, event details, information on new arrivals, and stories from CSE classrooms.
With fall fully upon us and Halloween nearing, the Media Center has many Halloween themed books for all ages on the way. We're excited to add more spooky titles to our catalog. Visit the "Check it Out" page to see what's new.
Mangas & Graphic Novels - Policy Updates
Students at CSE love reading mangas and graphic novels. The media center is striving to provide appropriate reading materials in this category to our students. Due to the huge popularity of the titles we offer a few new policies have been put in place:
- Students may only check out 1 manga/graphic novel at a time.
- Mangas and graphic novels may not be renewed.
- Age appropriateness ratings can be found on near the barcode of some mangas. Students may only check out mangas in their age appropriateness category.
Request a book!
If there is a book, book series, author, or specific topic you are interested in write it down and put it in the "Request a Book" bucket in the media center. We'll try our best to add it to our collection.
Mission & Goals
Mission: CSE Media Center staff strive to develop curious, creative, resourceful, and well-informed scholars who love to read, are capable of accessing, organizing, and evaluating information, and use their knowledge to solve problems and participate productively in their communities.
Media Center Goals:
Commitment to Excellence
- Supporting each individual learner's needs and goals
- Supporting academic excellence through learner assets and cultural strengths
- Promotion of lifelong learning
- Implementation of best practice instructional strategies
Student Development Goals
- Development of an intrinsic love for reading (reading for pleasure)
- Development of an intrinsic curiosity and thirst for knowledge
- Development of personal and mutual respect through a welcoming, supportive, and engaging environment
- Development of collaborative skills to encourage self-motivation and responsibility for personal actions
Skill Development Goals
- Using research skills to
- Solve problems
- Gain knowledge and satisfy curiosities
- Answer research questions
- Development of strong inquiry and critical thinking skills
- Development of effective use of information technology, both digitally and in print
- Development of strong literacy skills including reading, writing, and media literacy
- Cultivation of safe and ethical technology and information usage practices
- Development of correct ethical attitudes and habits in regards to intellectual property, plagiarism, and research
Volunteer at the CSE Media Center!
The CSE Media Center welcomes volunteers! Volunteers may assist with literacy and information literacy instruction, read to students, re-shelve books, assist with inventory and weeding tasks, and help with general administrative duties. Volunteers may assist on a regular schedule (preferred) or on a limited, drop-in basis. Volunteer shifts are available Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-4:30 pm every half-hour. To learn more about volunteer opportunities, please contact Alex Karpicke, Media Specialist, at: email@example.com